Saturday, June 28, 2008

shooting stars

Yesterday on the way home from the mall I had this conversation with Emi:


Emi: Mom, is there really such a thing as nagareboshi (shooting star)?

Me: Yes.

Emi: Really?

Me: Yes.

Emi: When do they come, like Easter or Christmas?

Me: I'm not really sure, I think it's more like during a season like Spring or whatever. (I know, that's a dumb description)

Emi: hmmm.....


(2 minute silence)


Emi: Mom, you know what I would wish for if I saw nagareboshi?

Me: What?

Emi: A skateboard.

Me: Cool.


(five minute silence)


Emi: Mom.

Me: Yeah.

Emi: You know what if I would wish for if I saw another nagareboshi?

Me: What?

Emi: No school!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you saw a shooting star, what would you wish for? My first thought is to have my house paid off, but most 7 year olds don't think of that right away (they will someday, though!)
love Mom

Lulu said...

When I was her age and saw shooting stars (and found wish chips) I would wish for my mum to have a baby...Since my brother was too close to my age I guess!

The no school would of been what my brother wished for!!!

I think it is hard to see shooting stars in Japan, but I see a lot of them in Australia. If she stayed outside long enough one night though I am sure she would catch one!

Sara said...

I have a few shooting star memories :)

When I was an elementary school student we used to have a house with a big patio/balcony on the 2nd floor. And sometimes we would "camp" outside during the summer. (Put sleeping bags and sleep out there) It was really beautiful... reading your post made me remember it!

The night I met my husband we both saw a shooting star together! Which is why nagareboshi is one of the words in my keitai email!