Saturday, July 12, 2008

family pictures

I need some advice! One thing we're doing when we go home is have family pictures taken. A friend of ours from college has her own studio. I've been following her blog for the past year and almost from the beggining I knew that I wanted her to take pictures of us. Well, you can see for yourself. Her name is Katie Kelly and this is her blog, her new blog, her website and her slideshows (this is my brother and his family). I love how natural her pictures feel. She seems to really capture the spirit of the moment and that's exactly what I was looking for. She does have a studio but Chikara and I miss the greenery of Portland so we've decided to have our session outside.

Now that you've seen what she's capable of, this is my question. I was thinking of buying us new casual clothes in a coordinating color scheme for the pictures but the other day I was looking through our old pictures and found ones of the girls in their summer kimonos and I realized that I would love to have a few pictures of the Japanese side of us, too. Our session is only 90 minutes long so I don't want to waste too much time getting changed. Maybe if I took the girls to the session already dressed up in their yukatas, then we could change easily into casual clothes and finish the session with our family pictures. Do you think it would be too much of a hassle? Do you think it would waste too much time?

I already have yukatas for the girls in all of their sizes so it would just be a matter of finding space to bring them. Probably the person I should really be asking is Katie.

Last year's Star Festival picture:


Star Festival picture from two years ago:



In addition to the question of yukatas or no yukatas I was also wondering if anyone has good ideas for a color scheme for our family outfits, too. I am eagerly awaiting your thoughts and ideas!

13 comments:

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

Loved your brother's family photos and know yours will look awesome, too. I think you should definitely do yukatas for the girls. Do you and Chikara have ones for you? I have one you could borrow if you want. I even have shoes to go with it. Maybe Chikara could wear a jinbei!

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

Had another idea for you. After you have some shots with the yukatas and jinbei, maybe have some casual shots with khaki trousers/skirts/shorts and tops in varying patterns/colors of red, white, and dark blue. Then you'd be incorporating all the colors of all three of your countries' flags.

By the way, was that your brother, Joel the Magnificent?

Sarah@mommyinjapan said...

Thanks for the ideas!

No, it's my brother Jon's family. My brother Joel isn't married yet.

Sherry said...

Nothing to suggest, but just remember if you do the yukata pictures it is left over right which I am sure you know but in one of the pictures you have it right over left which is for dead bodies.

Anonymous said...

why don't you just leave your ohashi sticking up out of your rice bowl, while you're at it?

The only tricky thing about the yukata pictures is the fancy hairdos that go with the yukatas - that would take a while to do, then to undo.

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I have a few recommendations for outside shots in Portland. In Washington Park there is the Rose Garden and the Japanese Garden. Both are just beautiful. As an aside to this, when your Mom and I were in California we stopped at a place in Pasadena called the Huntington Library. It was unbelievable but it had a bunch of different types of gardens including a beautiful Japanese Garden and a Zen Garden. Back to Portland, down by Reed College is the Rhododendron Garden and although nothing would be in bloom, it would make a great backdrop to photos. These are a few ideas from Dad.

Anonymous said...

I think the Yukatas are a good idea but it might be easier to get some done in Japan, rather than take them with you. The little ones might get cranky mid shoot if it takes too long changing outfits.

I like your Dad's suggestions of Japanese Garden backdrop and a few of the other sights in Portland that would be significant to Chikara and yourself.

As for a colour scheme I think you would all look nice in Jeans and white t-shirts for at least one lot of pictures. This combination suits both adults and children.

Katie

Anonymous said...

P.S I think Emi and Misaki look great in dark and pale blue yukatas they are wearing here. It seems to really suit their colouring.

Katie

Sarah@mommyinjapan said...

Everyone, thank you!

Especially Sherry, thanks for the reminder about which way to cross the yukatas. I would've totally forgotten. Again.

Hannah said...

If you're going to put everyone in matching clothes I would suggest doing white with bits of denim. If you do all one colour it can look too matchy-matchy. I love the idea of having the girls in their yukatas, especially at the Japanese Gardens. Do you have one? Or would you have those pictures be only of them? Either way, too cute.

Sherry said...

If you want to do the yukatas with the fancy hair at home, look into some of those hair pieces they sell here, if you can find colors to match their hair. I got my DD all dolled up in minutes by putting her hair in two pony tails and then sticking on a couple of hair pieces with some random Japanese clips and things. Took just a couple of minutes and looked just as good as if I had paid a professional to do it. They even have some of those hair things at the 100 yen stores, although the color selection is limited. If you ever take them to have professional shots done in yukata or kimono that is what they do to their hair, especially for the little ones who don't have much hair to work with.

Anonymous said...

If you dont´t want to waste too many time, you can dress the girls with their yukatas and underwear they can get the casual clothes, so in one minute they take off the yukatas and they are ready for the casual clothes pictures!!!!!!
I dont´t know about the colours, you should ask the photographer; surely she´ll tell you which are the best to take the pics.
besos. flor

Anonymous said...

Sometimes photographers find white hard to work with - have you thought about having the girls pick out their favourite clothes? That way their individual personalities will show up too - then with all the money you saved from not buying them new clothes, you can go out to Banana Republic and buy your own new favourite outfit....just a suggestion.....
love Mom (again)